Sunday, April 03, 2011

Image for 4-2-2011 - More Hockey!

More photos from the hockey game last night. The first image is of the ceiling of Scope, the Norfolk civic arena where the game was held. I love Scope. It was designed by the Italian architect, Pier Luigi Nervi in the early 1970s and still today feels futuristic and daring. It also makes me feel like I am in the belly of a Cyclon battlestar, but that's another story. I've been to many great concerts in that crazy hall, including David Bowie, James Brown and Elton John. I graduated from high school and community college in there too. Sometimes small-minded people bring up the idea of tearing it down and building something larger. Norfolk excels in obliterating it's past by destroying any cool old buildings and the culture and identity those buildings held, but that's a post for another time.

During the game I looked down in front and saw this little infant being held up against the protective glass (or is it plexi-glass?). I thought for sure that baby would start screaming in terror when the players slammed up against the glass, but he or she seemed locked in fascination. There were a lot of children at the game and the crowd was laid back, not much swearing, a real family atmosphere. I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I love to catch a game in the Scope.

OK HW

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! The Norfolk Scope! So many good memories... Thank god the Norfolk Scope spaceship doesn't participate in mandatory anal probes. They addressed it on South Park and I'm a little leery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool venue! Did YES ever play there "in the Round" with a rotating stage, back in the day?

    ReplyDelete