Friday, June 17, 2011

Image for June 17, 2011 - Making a Mark


This leaf is long gone, but it left it's mark on the world. It's shape endures for now etched into this strip of white crosswalk paint. Whenever I walk over to the mailbox here at work, I pass this leaf silhouette and it always brings my mind around to how brief our time is on this planet and how will anyone know we were here. Leaving one's mark has been a motivator to people in all walks of life since cave people took up a charred stick and drew on a cave wall. Some people leave their mark through their children and families, some through their creative pursuits. Some people don't care or feel it's out of their reach to make any meaningful impact on the world. Whether we chose to or not, we are all affecting the world and the people around us for good or for ill, mostly in ways that we'll never know or understand. I've been making a conscious effort to bring art into my life more, both in reality and online. I've also been trying to encourage people, friends and strangers to create art, write, make music, exercise that creative passion too. Make that mark. You never know who will eventually see it and what it will mean to their life.

OK HW

2 comments:

  1. I simply cannot understand how someone can go through life without considering what affect they will have on those around them...yet we're surrounded by them all day, every day. Casey and I had a conversation with two women today that were sharing with us some epic fail parenting techniques, and they told us about them like they were funny. He and I debated at length about the denial that has to go on in one's head in order to allow one to always place blame on others.
    Personal responsibility is a hefty concept with hefty implications.
    Great blog, Hal:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed -- once upon a time I spent a great deal of energy thinking and acting upon the concept of making a difference and making my mark, but then it all derailed and I gave up on it. Now, with the pursuit to teach, perhaps I will be able to make a worthwhile mark after all, instead of just being responsible for that day's lunch for various unknown people. I don't have those lofty ambitions I once had, but if I can save a few young adults from a lifetime of reality-TV numbness, then I will have accomplished something noble and good for the world at large.
    May the History Gods be with me...
    Zehdah!

    ReplyDelete