Friday, July 22, 2011

Image for July 21, 2011 - Orion Splash Down!

Today I got to exercise one of the very cool fringe benefits of my job. I got to witness first hand a splash test of the next generation space vehicle, the Orion. It looks very similar to the Apollo capsule and would have a water landing, so today they were testing that aspect of the design. It was stupid hot out by the Gantry where they drop stuff to see what happens and the test was a bit late, but well worth the wait. I missed the moment of impact, so have included a shot that the Langley Office of Public Affairs posted on Twitter of the splash. Here's my shots.



















The 22,000 lb. Orion/MPCV test article does make a big splash... on Twitpic
Courtesy of NASA Langley OPA

1 comment:

  1. Very cool benefit. I like how the top two almost stitch together to make one photo.

    ReplyDelete