Thursday, February 24, 2011

Image for 2/23/11 - Morning Commute Nightmare

I have a long drive to work, twenty-seven miles one way. To further complicate the deal, I also have to go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel a wonder of transportation engineering when all is going well. A nightmare, torture device of bottlenecking frustration when things do not go well. This morning's ride was solidly in the later, with a full on two hour interruption due to multiple accidents, breakdowns and general chaos. I dream of the day when I have a shorter commute. I fondly recall my days living in Ireland where I worked at a restaurant about a mile from our cottage on the south edge of Galway Bay. Some nights after finishing my shift and sharing a few pints with my workmates, I'd head out on foot into the still, dark night. The quiet of the midnight road broken only by the occasional passing car, headlights like a roving lighthouse swinging over the horizon and by the gentle, persistent munching cows. Back to the traffic jam and once more, all was still and quiet; an unexpected break in the routine. A chance to think and remember and daydream. There is always a choice.

OK HW

3 comments:

  1. You need a hover-craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the self portrait with your shadow in the corner makes this image personable amongst the mechanical chaos. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at those cars backed up makes me tense. I'm pretty sure that, if I'd been there with my camera, I'd have taken a picture of my white knuckles gripping the wheel...
    :)

    ReplyDelete