Monday, January 16, 2012

Image for January 15, 2012 - A Mysterious Visitor


We had an interesting visitor in our front yard this morning. It wasn't the first time we have seen a big, bird of prey hanging out in the yard. It seems we opened a free buffet for such predators when we hung up a bird feeder. Occasionally I'll find a  swirling collection of random feathers under the feeder and wonder what drama went down.
My wife once saw a hawk take down a young Blue Jay; ripped the unaware lad right off the bird feeder and then he became someone's lunch. Maybe we have our suspect. I've posted these images on the Virginia Society of Ornithology's Facebook page, so I'm hoping to get a positive identification, which I'll share on here when/if I find out.

I spent a long time study this beauty through binoculars. Nature sometimes gives us a rare gift of a momentary encounter with something wild and today I didn't waste it. 

OK HW

5 comments:

  1. Looks like what my gram used to call a Merlin. I don't know if that is a real name or what we called em in Wisconsin. Beautiful creature. Can't wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a hawk or falcon around our neighborhood lately as well. I don't know if it is from population growth or habitat lose? I have not gotten this close though, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cool! Great shots! It is sitting there like an owl! (I like that name: "Merlin" JR)

    ReplyDelete
  4. my daughter found this: http://friendsofgreatswamp.org/Photo%20Contest%202011%20Winners/K-Juvenile-Red-shouldered-Hawk-318x445.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casey and I went to walk around the grounds of the governor's mansion this past weekend, and I kept hearing this weird squawking sound. Turns out, it was the sound of terrified squirrels rather than birds like I had suspected. A few steps away, we saw a large hawk similar to this in a tree. The hawk population must be skyrocketing! Of course, if that's the case, then the stress level for all small furry creatures must be skyrocketing with it.:)

    ReplyDelete