Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Image for August 31, 2011 - Don't Tread on Me

While securing the yard before the hurricane, I found this snake coiled up underneath one of the clay pots. It was small, about as big around as my little finger. It was so still when I first noticed it, that I thought it might be dead. Then I noticed what I thought were eggs around it and considered that maybe it was a momma sitting in her nest. With Irene approaching, I decided I couldn't leave this serpent to the elements, so I put another clay pot back over her, making sure to leave a little escape tunnel. Now that I'm looking at the photo and can study this snake in more detail, I got to wonder, is this a rattler? The end of the tale is there was nothing under the pot when I checked later.  No snake, no eggs only new knowledge that I need to be careful where I poke around in my yard.

OK HW

3 comments:

  1. from the surface elements in the image, i can smell the surf in this image. with the subject however, i get a little squeamish. good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your snake looks more dangerous than my snake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gary - thank you sir

    @Casey - Well done sir!

    ReplyDelete