Thursday, April 21, 2011

Image for 4-20-11 - Big Chief

I got mixed feelings about graffiti. Sometimes I see it and it pisses me off, just looks like selfish bullshit inflicted on a public space. Then I'll see something that transcends that and makes it to the art level and improves upon the surroundings. This piece falls into the  later category. It has a humor to it and sophisticated sensibility that appeals to me. I also have to admit that I have become more open to graffiti after watching Exit Through the Gift Shop, a film that you need to see if you haven't. (Those with Netflix and Roku box can add it to their Instant Watch queue, hint, hint). The best quality graffiti I have ever seen was in Barcelona, Spain. I'll have to dig those photos out...

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you when it comes to graffiti.
    Essentially, "improve it, or leave it alone."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known a number of people in my life that were guilty of graffiti - and I was always on the verge of reporting many of them. Some of them would paint beautiful pictures on train cars or the sides of buildings, but some of them just had to write their tag name on everything...I really wish that more of those types would be caught and made to clean the city during the course of, like, 300 community service hours...make an example of them, you know?

    ReplyDelete